CODING A MOBILE INFORMATION APP (Android) (Intermediate level)
Event on 2015-05-16 10:00:00
Saturday 16th May 2015: 10am-5pm
Saturday 20th June 2015: 10am-5pm
Venue: Creative Exchange, 29 Constitution Street, Leith, EH6 7BS
This course will show you how to build a basic mobile information app using the latest Android standards and technologies. Tutor-led introductions to topics will be followed by interactive sessions where you will be writing and debugging code, and learning about current best practice for mobile design. By the end of the course you will have built a News Reader App using third party and social media APIs.
It is a digital technology course and is aimed at people with basic knowledge of programming. Students should be confident using computers and have familiarity with the web and online tools.
You'll need to bring your own PC or Mac along to the course. You will be working with Eclipse IDE software which you will download.
This course is for you if you want to:
- Build a native mobile information app of your own.
- Learn the functionalities of mobile design and third party APIs and how to implement these in a project.
- Work with or lead mobile developers and communicate effectively with them.
Topics covered during the course will include:
- An overview of the Android platform
- Basic concepts of the Android Software Development Kit
- Creating and running the 'News Reader' project
- Android application basics
- Java programming language
- Third party APIs
- Facebook and Twitter shares
- Android user interface design essentials
- Dynamically generated content
- Android application essentials
- Coding the 'News Reader' basics
- Parsing and filtering API content
- Social media sharing
- Improving the code
- Testing and debugging
Jorge Correia is a Computer Science graduate of ISMAT University in Portugal. Since moving to Edinburgh he has worked as a lead web and mobile developer at the Edinburgh agencies OptimiseWeb, the web design and online marketing specialists, and Union Tech, the specialist web and online division of The Union, one of the U.K.’s leading creative marketing agencies. He is experienced in managing teams of mobile developers creating mobile applications and websites, using responsive design techniques.
He currently combines lecturing at Edinburgh College on the HND Computing course with freelance consulting work for Scottish digital agencies. Jorge believes that a degree in computer science isn't a requirement for building good quality applications – all you need is curiosity, creativity, and patience.
An exciting business incubator and flexible workspace for people working in creative industries. The Creative Exchange offers affordable space alongside business support, creating a hub for collaboration and innovation in Leith.
The exchange provides:
- workspace for up to 80 individuals, groups and businesses
- a centre for creative and digital talent
- business incubation, development and support services
- a hub for collaboration, innovation and co-operative working
- a demonstrator space to promote the business
- potential of ultra-fast broadband and digital technology
- a platform to showcase the city’s creative products, services and talent
- on-site gallery with exciting programme of exhibitions
1 Summerhall Pl
Edinburgh, United Kingdom