Thistle Farms Education Workshop – November 2015
Event on 2015-11-16 08:30:00
Welcome to the Circle!
Four years ago, in response to demand to share the model, Magdalene/Thistle Farms began hosting free Education Workshops. We offer these Education Immersion Days to help us all become part of a movement that promotes women's freedom and encourages communities to open housing-first programs for survivors. These workshops have helped more than 20 communities launch programs around the country for housing and social enterprise. Thistle Farms and Magdalene have welcomed more than 2,200 visitors who have become friends as we learn together about the root causes of trafficking, addiction, poverty and prostitution as we explore solutions together.
Preparing for the Workshop:
To learn more about Magdalene and Thistle Farms, we encourage you to read the following books: 1). Find Your Way Home, written collaboratively by Becca Stevens and the community of Magdalene, includes 24 principles for healing that are the foundation of the orgainzation. 2). Snake Oil – The Art of Healing and Truth-Telling, written by Becca Stevens, weaves together the beginnings of Thistle Farms with individual stories from her own journey as well as 20 women in the community. She tells how the women she began helping 17 years ago have been the biggest source of her own healing. Both books are available for sale at thistlefarms.org.
Workshop Schedule (subject to change):
8:30 am – 9:00 am
- Meet at Thistle Stop Cafe, check in and get settled (Thistle Stop Cafe opens at 8:00 am so you can grab a cup of coffee & pastry before the workshop!)
9:00 am – 9:30 am
- Meditation Circle begins promptly at 9:00 in the cafe
- Greetings and introductions
9:30 am – 10:30 am
- Thistle Farms/Social Enterprise Overview from our founder, Becca Stevens
10:30 am – 10:45 am
10:45 am – 11:15 am
- Tour of the Thistle Farms facility, Paper & Sewing Studios and Healing Garden
11:15 am – 11:30 am
11:30 am – 12:20 pm
- Visit and tour Magdalene residence. This will be a quick trip as space is limited. Travel back to Thistle Farms.
12:20 pm – 12:45 pm
- Break, TIME TO SHOP!, and gather for lunch.
- Hear from Magdalene resident or graduate who will share her story.
12:45 pm – 2:30 pm
- Magdalene Program Overview and in-depth Q&A discussion led by Executive Director, Cary Rayson and/or other program staff members. (We will eat during this time)
Expect a busy and crowded, but casual and intimate environment.
To download a brochure with detailed information about the Education Days including a schedule, click here.
SCARRITT BENNETT CENTER
1008 19th Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37212
HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS
5612 Lenox Avenue
Nashville, TN 37209
HOLIDAY INN VANDERBILT
2613 West End Avenue
Nashville, TN 37203
EMBASSY SUITES VANDERBILT
Nashville, TN 37203
at Thistle Stop Cafe
5128 Charlotte Ave
Nashville, United States